According to estimates, people around the world throw away almost four million tons of trash every day, of which 12.8 percent is plastic, polluting land, air and water.
For last half century, plastic has become an integral part of our daily life. From furniture to grocery bags, from vehicle parts to toys, plastic is an unavoidable element of our lives in a variety of forms. However, from being regarded as a very vital presence in the contemporary world, plastic has now come to be looked upon as a material of immense potential destruction and harm. As is commonly known, plastic isn’t biodegradable, which accentuates the threat of lingering waste plastic for years and for generations to come. According to estimates, people around the world throw away almost four million tons of trash every day, of which 12.8 percent is plastic, polluting land, air and water. While plastic thrown into landfills contaminates the soil and groundwater with harmful chemicals and microorganisms, the effects of marine pollution caused by plastic are immeasurable.
The role plastic products play in the daily lives of people all over the world is interminable. We could throw statistics at you all day long (e.g. Upwards of 300 MILLION tons of plastic are consumed each year), but the impact of these numbers border on inconceivable.
For those living on the coasts, a mere walk on the beach can give anyone insight into how staggering our addiction to plastic has become as bottles, cans, bags, lids and straws (just to name a few) are ever-present. In other areas that insight is more poignant as the remains of animal carcasses can frequently be observed; the plastic debris that many of them ingested or became entangled in still visible long after their death. Sadly, an overwhelming amount of plastic pollution isn’t even visible to the human eye, with much of the pollution occurring out at sea or on a microscopic level.
The Problem With Plastic
Over 8.3 billion tonnes of plastic has been made since its mass production began in the 1950s.
Only 9% of this plastic has been recycled, the other 91% sits in landfill, floats in our oceans or has been burned.
An estimated 8 million tonnes of plastic enters the ocean every year.
Many animals mistakenly ingest plastic believing it to be a food source.
This can cause injury, suffocation, starvation and often death.
Plastic contaminates our air, land, sea and can enter the human body through the food we eat, the water we drink and the air we breathe.